Spring brings us flowers and some have uses that you did not know. To prepare the orange blossom water, the white flowers of bitter orange trees or other citrus trees, such as lemon, grapefruit, mandarins, etc. are used.
This water has been used for a long time and has many properties, from medicinal, culinary and even cosmetic.
It is a transparent and very aromatic liquid that must be kept cold and in dark glass containers that protect it from light. Orange blossom water has a long shelf life, but if the liquid turns yellow, changes the texture or molds appear, it is time to discard it.
Orange blossom water in the kitchen
Orange blossom water is often added to sweets and jams to give them a unique flavor and aroma.
Orange blossom water in cosmetics
We can also use it in the field of cosmetics, as a facial tonic, since orange blossom has moisturizing properties for the skin. And of course, in perfumery it is widely used for its citrus notes.
Orange blossom water as medicine
If we prepare an infusion with orange blossom water we will benefit from all its therapeutic properties.
In infusion it is mainly used:
- To relieve menstrual discomfort.
- Nervous states
- For people with low blood pressure since its properties make it highly recommended for fainting and blackouts, especially for women.
- In cases of insomnia (both in children and adults).
- Intestinal gas
- Digestive spasms
- It is an excellent remedy for infantile colic.
- It is indicated in the syndrome of "irritable bowel", which causes pain and intestinal transit disorders.
To prepare the orange blossom water we must use the dried flowers. We will need 50 gr. for half a liter of mineral water. On the other hand, to take it as an infusion, both dry and fresh flowers serve us, in this case we will use 5 flowers per person.
If we want we can dry the flowers at home very easily. They are spread well on porous fabrics that allow air to pass through, or on metal trellises, in a well-ventilated and shaded place.
- First we heat the water and bring it to a boil. We turn off the heat after the first boil and add the orange blossom. We remove the flowers so that their essence is dissolved in the hot water.
- We pour the content into a bowl and cover it with plastic wrap. We let the content rest in a shady place at room temperature for a whole day.
- After 24 hours, we strain the water through a cloth strainer or with the help of gauze, and store it in a dark glass bottle in the refrigerator.
We can obtain more quantity of orange blossom water, doubling the quantities of the ingredients, but always following the same proportion, for half a liter of mineral water, 50 grams of dried orange blossom flowers.