The main parts of wheat are the bran and the germ. The first is the outer, fibrous layer, and the germ is the center: a source of essential fatty acids and vitamins in wheat. The inner part of the seed that is removed during refining results in white flour. The nutritionist Laura Romero, tells us about its benefits when consuming this grain.
1. Contains protein of vegetable origin, vitamins of complex B and E, folic acid, thiamin, minerals such as phosphorus, zinc, selenium, potassium, iron, and low sodium content.
To your health
2. Wheat germ, as it does not have purines, is a food aimed at those who have a high level of uric acid. For this reason, it helps prevent attacks in gout patients.
3. It does not contain cholesterol, which benefits the circulatory system and our heart.
4. Given its high amount of protein, wheat germ is a food recommended especially for muscle development, and because of its iron content it benefits those who practice intense training.
5. Being rich in potassium, it helps a good circulation, regulating blood pressure, it could even prevent rheumatic diseases or arthritis.
6. The high zinc content facilitates our body assimilation and storage of insulin, wound healing and metabolize proteins. In addition, it fights fatigue and intervenes in the transport of vitamin A in the retina.
7. Taking wheat germ, as it is among the foods rich in fiber, helps to promote intestinal transit.
8. Vitamin B2 can help fight migraines, maintain good eye health and reduce nervous problems such as insomnia, anxiety or stress.
For your beauty
Diseases like psoriasis or eczema can be improved using wheat germ, as well as burns, including those caused by the sun and skin rashes, also improving the appearance of dry skin.
Its antioxidant properties make it possible to delay skin aging, preventing wrinkles and sagging skin.
Improves the appearance of dry hair, eliminates frizz and closes the cuticle in hair very damaged by chemicals and heat.
Massaging hair with wheat germ can promote hair growth and maintain healthy hair follicles.
What is the best way to consume it
Fresh flour is preferable because it preserves the most nutrients with minimal oxidation. On the other hand, wheat flours stored at room temperature for a week, lose a large part of their vitamins and nutrients. As for wheat germ, use it right away because it goes rancid almost as quickly as unrefrigerated milk.
Try this delicious recipe: Apple and Cereal Sorbet
1 apple chopped
120 ml of light yogurt
1 tablespoon of wheat germ
1 tablespoon granola
Ice cubes to taste
Place all the ingredients in the blender, mix very well for a few seconds, and accompany as part of breakfast.
Nutritionist Laura Romero