TOPICS

Agar agar the gelatin of "algae"

Agar agar the gelatin of

As it has very few calories and increases the feeling of satiety, it is recommended in weight loss cures and avoids the weakening of the body by containing many minerals, the first danger of uncontrolled diets.

Due to its ability to absorb water, it is used in cooking to thicken and gel foods, whether sweet or salty, without adding any flavor.

Depending on the type of algae used, we will find agares with different characteristics. However, the agar from Gelidium algae is the one that offers the highest quality and purity.

The different ways to find agar-agar on the market are: powder, flakes, strips or bars. But agar-agar powder and flakes is the one that contains the highest proportion of natural fiber, because it is more concentrated, and the easiest to use in the kitchen.

Obtaining the agar-agar

To obtain the agar, the algae are first collected in the wild and then taken to the factory.

There, they are washed and removed from any remaining salt and sand.

Once the algae are clean, they are placed in large tanks filled with water and subjected to high pressure to extract the agar from the algae.

At this time, the agar is dissolved in the water and through a filtration process, the remains of all the algae are removed.

The agar dissolved in water is then pressed and dried to be left exclusively with our product.

Once we have the dry agar, it is then crushed in machines.

Depending on the time of grinding subjected, we will have different white-cream extract, different products, such as agar flakes or powder.

This is the process by which the agar is obtained from the algae, leaving a final product of white-cream color withnumerous benefits for the bodyYimportant culinary qualities.

History

Although in Spain agar-agar is still not well known, the truth is that its culinary culture was born in Japan and later spread to the entire Far East already agomore than three hundred years.

Agar-agar is said to have existed since time immemorial, but its first recorded appearance was in Japan in 1658 (17th century). The name given to agar-agar in Japan is Kanten (cold-sky), alluding to the artisan method of production by natural freeze-thaw. For this, they used the low winter temperatures of the mountainous areas, where it was manufactured in small, very traditional facilities, in a completely handmade way.

{xtypo_quote_right} Agar-agar is very rich in soluble fiber and minerals, which helps to regulate intestinal transit, cholesterol, diabetes, and prevent overweight. {/ xtypo_quote_right} The name agar-agar comes from the Malay language, where agar means gelatin and, as is customary in Polynesian cultures, the word is repeated twice for emphasis, the literal translation being gelatin-gelatin or pure gelatin.

Agar-agar has been widely accepted throughout the Far East, making a major contribution to the eating habits of Japan, China, Indonesia and Korea. Its introduction in Europe dates from 1859 (practically two hundred years after its official recognition).

In Spain and Portugal its production began on a very small scale during the 2nd World War, from the alga Gelidium sesquipedale. Later, in the sixties, the knowledge of Spanish technology spread to other countries such as Morocco, France, Mexico, Chile, South Africa, etc.

Formerly, in Japan, the production of agar-agar was carried out using only Gelidium algae. At the end of the 19th century, due to the great consumption and exports to the West, an attempt was made to produce agar-agar from another type of algae. The algae used was the Gracilaria, but the final result was an agar-agar of different quality.

Today, more than 90% of the global production of agar-agar is destined for human consumption. It is used in the food industry or as an ingredient in food. The remaining 10% of the use of agar-agar is destined for biotechnological applications.

Allium Herbal


Video: Agar Pharmacognosy, Carbohydrate containing Drug Agar. Pharmacognosy of Agar by Jainy Tutorial (June 2021).