TOPICS

Cassava is the crop that most resists climate change

Cassava is the crop that most resists climate change

In a seminar organized by the UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), specialist Clair Hershey highlighted that, since the 1980s, global production of this tuber has increased by 52% due to, among other reasons , to which in that period it doubled in Africa.

Hershey, from the International Center for Tropical Agriculture, based in Colombia, considered that this potato-like food is adapting better to rising temperatures compared to others such as corn, whose cultivation is "more sensitive to climate change."

Another question is what to do with pests and diseases, which are also exacerbating with global warming and which "are increasingly entering Asia" affecting cassava fields, said Hershey, reported Efe.

Although this tuber - he stressed - may offer greater income despite climate change, it still needs to expand into new markets, that its genetic diversity is investigated more. More than 200 million people continue to rely on cassava as their main crop, 65% destined for human consumption and the remaining 35% for fuel and industry.

The latter percentage will rise in the future, especially in Latin America and Asia, which, along with Africa, are the main production centers for this crop, Hershey estimated.


Video: Dr Walter Willett Why choosing plant-based protein is more important than ever (June 2021).