Every year, EWG brings the most toxic fruits and vegetables of the period to the fore. They are "The 12 most toxic" and also positively highlights "The 15 innocents", which contain the lowest levels of pesticides. It's a brilliant and helpful approach for consumers, who can educate themselves and avoid the foods most contaminated with pesticides.
This year, in addition to the "12 most toxic", they added the category "Plus", which includes vegetables such as cabbage, which do not meet the criteria of "The 12 most toxic". According to EWG, in this category, vegetables have high levels of insecticides toxic to our nervous system that, although they have already been removed from the agronomic industry during the past decade, there are still plantations that continue to use these insecticides.
Here are the fruits and vegetables on the "Top 12 Toxic" list, ordered from highest to lowest:
"The 15 innocents": Buying organic products is always better for the environment, but if your budget does not allow it, these options are less contaminated and are not such a big threat to your health.
2. Sweet corn
6. Sweet peas
12. Sweet potato
Other discouraging data from the report are:
• 98% of apples have high levels of pesticides.
• Blueberries tested positive for 42 different types of pesticides.
• 78 different pesticides were found in the lettuce samples.
• All nectarine samples that were tested by the Food and Drug Administration had levels of pesticides.
• Grapes have more types of pesticides than any other fruit: 64 different chemicals.
• 13 different pesticides were found in a single celery sample. The same happened with strawberries.