By Nicola Bizzi
The UK Health Protection Agency, in a study carried out in 2007 found that “microwave radiation in the WiFi frequency range causes behavioral changes, alters cognitive functions, activates the stress response and interferes with brain waves. ”. Possible health risks for children attending schools with wireless networks are also mentioned.
And we must not forget that the radiofrequency of mobile and wireless phones, mobile phone towers and WiFi networks emit radiation that in one way or another, affects people who are within their range of action.
The "Interphone" study, promoted by the World Health Organization (WHO) and published in the "International Journal of Epidemiology", despite not offering conclusive evidence on the supposed safety of the terminals, raises suspicion. In a review of the same carried out in June 2010, it was assured that for every 100 hours of mobile phone use, the risk of meningioma - brain tumor - increased 26 percent.
Fernando Pérez, vice president of the Foundation for Geoenvironmental Health, points out that the little ones in the house are the most vulnerable, along with pregnant women, the elderly and the sick. "All epidemiological studies have shown real effects of radiation on the health and development of children," explains Pérez.
Of course, there are other studies that state that exposure to this type of radiation is harmless. But if so, why are Europe taking action? One of the strongest examples comes from the French neighbor. In France, Wi-Fi networks are being eliminated in libraries, schools and public places, "but in Spain the legislation dates from 2001, and establishes maximum limits that are 4,000 times higher than those recommended by the latest studies," says Pérez
On the other hand, there are "scientific reports" that state that Wi-Fi networks are totally harmless but we must not forget that most of these "reports" are paid for by "the WiFi alliance", an association that represents the industry of WLAN, made up of more than 200 large companies.
Symptoms of high exposure to Wi-Fi networks are manifested by headache, chronic fatigue, difficulty sleeping, palpitations, pain in the ear and insomnia.
So it's best to be safe, just in case. These are some measures that can protect us from wi-fi radiation, both in the office and in the home:
1. Disconnect the connection when not in use, especially at night.
2. Replace wireless access, via network cable, or a PLC that allows you to use your own electrical network and plugs as a local network.
3. Do not abuse the mobile phone. It is best to use it with the “speaker” function activated.
4. Do not use DECT cordless phones in your home, which emit large doses of radiation. If you have no choice but to use a cordless phone, look at the ECODECT-type options, which at least prevent emission when the phone is resting on the base.
5. Go to a specialized doctor for a discharge of the radiation that the body has been able to absorb.